Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. This space is provided as a service through the Davidson Institute for Davidson Young Scholars parents to engage with one another. It is our hope that users can utilize the site’s many features to make connections, share information, and search resources. To ensure a positive experience for each person, we have developed the following Terms of Service with the purpose of providing a safe, supportive and productive environment.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our member services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, please use the Contact Us form. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- For those who would like to maintain anonymity, it is suggested you use pseudonyms such as “DS” (Dear Son), “DD” (Dear Daughter) or “DH/W” (Dear Husband/Wife) in place of specific names. As this is a secure community only for our vetted and approved members, we do ask that you register with the first and last name as you wrote them on your Young Scholar application. Once you are logged in, you are able to adjust your profile settings and can choose what information is visible to other Davidson Community members. Please remember though, the goal of this member community is to make connections and share experiences, so we hope you will choose to participate fully in the community.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals. Please keep discussions respectful and positive. Please refrain from listing products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all Young Scholar members to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal content or materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything highly personal or otherwise that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- Posts may not contain violations of the Davidson Institute’s confidentiality provisions/Young Scholar’s Confidentiality Agreement or anyone’s privacy rights, intellectual property or other rights. Information posted in the community is not to be used for the purposes of compiling research, marketing and/or the promotion of personal business ventures. The use of site users’ personal information to transmit unsolicited marketing materials may constitute violations of state and federal anti-spam laws.
Young Scholar’s Confidentiality Agreement
As part of the application process for the Young Scholars program, all parents/guardians signed an agreement to maintain confidentiality and to review this information with their Young Scholar(s). We are including the Confidentiality Agreement here for families to review as needed. Individuals who fail to follow these guidelines may lose access to the community, with or without notice, at the Davidson Institute's discretion. These guidelines are subject to change or modification as deemed necessary by the Davidson Institute.
- Confidentiality Agreement
I understand that the privacy of all participants in the Young Scholars program is of great importance. Accordingly, I agree as follows: At all times hereafter, I shall keep in strictest confidence and not disclose to any other person or entity, any and all information that any of us learn from any source regarding DI, the Young Scholars program and its related activities and events and any other participants in the Young Scholars program, including their names and contact information (such as photos, phone numbers, email addresses, and other addresses), and any and all other information regarding such persons, including information obtained from the use of any and all Davidson websites or electronic communication options. In addition, I, as a parent or guardian, agree to monitor carefully my child's use of any and all Young Scholar online activities to maintain confidentiality, including making certain that no other person accesses such sites or learns the passwords for entry, and including monitoring my child's non-disclosure of any information obtained from these sources. The foregoing statements are made by each parent or guardian on his or her own behalf and on behalf of his or her child.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the Davidson Young Scholar’s Program. The Davidson Institute is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the Davidson Institute or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the Davidson Institute be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Users may not operate within the site in any manner that violates local, state, national, or international law. Further, users are not to upload any viruses, worms, Trojans, or other malicious code or otherwise take actions that disrupt the ordinary operation of this site. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The Davidson Institute does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the Davidson Institute, we will take all appropriate action.
The Davidson Institute reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site:
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.